This project is a bilateral collaboration between the University of Amsterdam and the University of Twente, focused on the development of an efficient, selective, stable and economically feasible functionalized NiO photocathode for the reduction of CO2 and protons. The aim is to bridge the gap between the typical time scale of charge separation (ns) and catalysis (ms-s), which is a major challenge in photocatalysis.
Novel photosensitizers and catalysts will be developed at the University of Amsterdam in the group of Prof. Joost Reek. The PhD student at the University of Twente will prepare the NiO template with controlled dopants and nanomorphology, functionalize this with the new photosensitizers and catalysts developed, and pursue photodynamical and –catalytic studies. The entire light-induced fuel evolution process will be characterized by advanced ultrafast electronic, vibrational and x-ray transient spectroscopy under in-situ conditions with the aim to develop fundamental insight into the nature of intermediate species formed, the role of the environment and factors that govern the selectivity.
- You are highly motivated and an enthusiastic researcher (F/M).
- You have a MSc degree in Chemistry or Physics or equivalent, with excellent experimental skills.
- You have a keen interest in bridging Chemistry and Physics.
- You have a good team spirit and like collaboration with adjacent disciplines.
- You have strong analytical skills and a keen interest in the interpretation of complex data.
- You are fluent in English.
You will be appointed on a fulltime position for 4 years, with a qualifier in the first year, within a very stimulating scientific environment. The university offers a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues. Salary and conditions are in accordance with the collective labor agreement for Dutch universities.
- Salary ranging from € 2.222,- gross at the start to € 2,840,- gross in the 4th year.
- Excellent benefits including a holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3% and a solid pension scheme.
- A training program in which you and your supervisor will make up a plan for additional suitable education and supervision.
- As a PhD candidate you will be enrolled in the Twente Graduate School.
- We encourage a high degree of responsibility and independence, while collaborating with close colleagues and collaborators.
Information and application
Please send your application before August 15, 2018 to Dr. Annemarie Huijser (firstname.lastname@example.org) and include an application/motivation letter, emphasizing your specific interest and motivation to apply for this position, a detailed CV, contact details of at least 2 referees, an academic transcript of B.Sc. and M.Sc. education and a TOEFL or IELTS score to verify sufficient mastering of the English language. An interview will be part of the selection procedure.